What is DD-WRT?
DD-WRT is regarded as an open source firmware created to enhance Internet router settings. The firmware is used for replacing the manufacturer productionâ€™s firmware in order to manage some additional functions. With the help of the â€˜toolâ€™ our â€˜homeâ€™ network can be made more controllable and accomplished.
Non-technical users are the main target of the routers manufacturers. While making them simple and easy to use but restricted in effectiveness. Simply put, DD-WRT makes it possible to transform an ordinary router to a professional one with an extended list of qualitative characteristics.
What are the benefits of DD-WRT?
There are a lot of possibilities open for you by using the firmware, starting from establishing a Wi-Fi hotspot at home to enlarging the area of the internet coverage.
- Non-proprietary firmware stability of running.
- Capability to combine a connection with a VPN service.
- Various network connection bandwidth allocations can be controlled in an improved way.
- The wireless spectrum can be increased.
- Your network can be expanded by using a second wireless router.
- Your router can be cycled from the administrator settings.
- DNS-caching, which is built in, can speed up your network performance.
- You can watch everything starting from the network performance to bandwidth level.
- Your router can be used as Wi-Fi hotspot for giving an access to your neighbors through a verification page.
- Support of VLAN is available too.
- When using multiple routers, a unique SSIDs can be created.
- Support of NAT is available too.
- The SD-Card hardware is supported by software.
Plethora of useful features can be added to your route while using the firmware. The thing is that the main interface of a manufactured router provides the customers with limited data and power control over the router. Better interface with more functional additions is supplied with DD-WRT.
The firmware can be used for boosting the antenna strength or the signal strength of the first router, then your speed performance will be enhanced.
DD-WRT supports OpenVPN and PPTP, which is in an extreme demand for those who use a VPN connection.
While using a fabric router you can get an access to the Internet only. While using the firmware not only a basic access to the Internet is provided for you, but also advanced configurations and maintenance task can be used. When advanced features can be included only by high-end routers for serious money paid to the manufacturers, all the advantages can be achieved for free with the firmware. Such possibilities as setting up remote access to your home network are known to be applied with the help of the free alternative firmware. You are able to browse the â€˜homeâ€™ network from anywhere outside, while having specified the address of the device you use. It is also noticeable that more advanced users are able to turn their routers in full-blow systems.
While connecting multiple devices through one router, such as computers, smart phones, laptops, tablets, fridges and etc., the speed performance of the Internet connection reduces a lot. This happens, because basic routers are not able to handle multiple connections, when with the help of DD-WRT a lot of connection problems can be solved in a few ways:
- There is a feature allowing you to decide how to use a bandwidth, namely Quality of Service. For instance, when downloading something from the net you want to be able to communicate with your friends via Skype or watch films from your favorite sources. With the possibility you can make it available while leaving enough bandwidth for the purposes. It can be configured by an app, an address or a device.
- Antenna power increasing is another solvable variant for the issue. With the DD-WRT settings the transmitting power can be kicked up a lot regarding your wireless antenna.
- One more router can be used as a repeater. While owning an unused router, a firmware can be installed at it to be turned into wireless repeater, which is to enhance the signal from the main one and transfer it to your distantly located devices.
- While working well with a VPN service, DD-WRT ensures you that all your traffic from all the devices is encrypted while flowing through the tunneling created by the service. In such a way your authentic address is hidden, which makes you invisible for all the adversaries or prying eyes, including ISPs who are able to reduce your bandwidth regarding your online activities.
What is more, with the help of the firmware you are able to provide your Internet experience with a high level of defense while being thoroughly secured.
- Powerful firewall can be set up at your router. The thing is that the firewall is being installed at the DD-WRT, which can be configured by you to refine traffic that comes in and out of the network you use.
- The most effective case is when a router has undergone attack. In this case either all the connected devices or a connection will be destructed. Moreover, it is stated that most vulnerabilities have been found in manufacturerâ€™s routers, which makes your network unprotected from the cases like that. While using DD-WRT much more essential updates can be received.
- A VPN can be used with the firmware, which is highly effective in the methods the network uses. The reason is that all the three â€˜whalesâ€™ are provided for your online defense. Having hidden your true address, the network experience becomes unidentified by any secondary party. Having created a secure tunneling with the help of current protocols and bit-keys, all your traffic is thoroughly encrypted and locked for adversaries. Having achieved an access to all the servers provided by the service network, all the restrictions imposed geographically or â€˜morallyâ€™ can be bypassed. Besides, you can connect as many devices as needed, because while using the firmware you router is able to cope with the task.
Comparison OpenWRT, Tomato, DD-WRT
The oldest product of the market, which nevertheless hasnâ€™t made it out of date. According to the features and supported devices, the output is probably the worthiest. Being the full-blown Linux distribution, the firmware can be installed on your router. It is supported by all popular routers. But the firmware is not an easy thing to install, therefore you need to be an advanced user to come with the settings. Being a network administrator, the firmware is good enough. But if an easier product is more preferable for you, the variant wonâ€™t be suitable.
Any newbie will be glad to use it as the settings are simple enough. Although the configuration seems to be easy, it doesnâ€™t educe the capacity power of the firmware. QoS and firewall are supported. Moreover, some additional network monitoring tools are included too (for example, you can view your bandwidth in real time), so that anything happening on your network can be easily visualized. But the only problem it may cause is that the list of the supported devices is too short.
Rich functionality with relative ease of use and a wide variety of supported devices. All the features described for Tomato are provided too. While using a graphical interface, it makes it easier to use. Your device can be accessed and even powered remotely. The number of features supported by the firmware is not so easy to set up, therefore it may be more useful for advanced customers.
How to use it?
It is up to you to decide whether to use this or that firmware, but DD-WRT seems to be a doubtless leader of the â€˜racingâ€™. A free DD-WRT can be downloaded and all the settings can be made on your own. But you should remember that a very cautious approach to the issue is required as the setting depends on some professionalism in the question. Being an advanced customer, you can easily do it yourself, but being a newbie you should ask a favor of a specialist.